Here’s a pumpkin themed quiz for Halloween. It is easy to setup, gives students choice over the level of challenge and encourages collaborative learning.
There are four worksheets to choose from:
- Worksheet A. This worksheet allows students to click and select from multiple choice answers. The correct answers can be displayed/written on the board or read out at the end of the activity.
- Worksheet A (with answers). This is the same as the above but gives students the added option of checking their own answers via a link at the bottom of the page.
- Worksheet B. This worksheet provides more of a challenge as it requires students to type their answers in the spaces underneath each question. Answers can be displayed/written on the board or read out at the end of the activity.
- Worksheet B (with answers). Like with Worksheet A (with answers), this is the same as Worksheet B but gives students the added option of checking their own answers via a link at the bottom of the page.
All worksheets are mobile friendly, meaning they are easy to read on a small screen.
Before the lesson:
- Print the QR codes and hide them around your classroom/school in advance of the lesson. These QR codes contain text pieces which will help students answer the quiz questions.
During the lesson:
- Ask students to make sure they have a QR scanner on their mobile phones. Most modern phones have scanners built in but if necessary, a simple QR scanner program can be downloaded for free from most application stores.
- Working alone or in small groups, ask students to choose whether they want an easy or difficult challenge. Students scan the appropriate QR code: Easy or Difficult.
- Students read and answer the questions by finding and scanning the hidden QR codes. Each QR code will reveal key information that will help them answer each question correctly.
- If you have opted for Worksheets A and B (with answers), students are able to check the answers themselves. Otherwise, you can download the answers as a separate file to display and/or discuss after the activity.
You can download the materials here:
- Print and display this PDF for students to download either the easy or difficult worksheet: Pumpkin QR quiz. Worksheets A and B QR codes, or:
- Print and display this PDF for students to download either the easy or difficult worksheet (with answers): Pumpkin QR quiz. Worksheets A and B QR codes with answers
- Print and display these QR codes. Students scan them to reveal text pieces which will help them answer the questions: Pumpkin QR quiz. QR codes
- If you have opted to give students Worksheets A and B (without answers), you can download the answers here: Pumpkin quiz questions. Answers
- I built the editable PDFs using LibreOffice Writer before exporting them to PDF.
- I used this website to generate my QR codes: http://www.qrcode-monkey.com
- I used this website to generate direct download links for files stored on Google Drive: https://sites.google.com/site/gdocs2direct/home
Need a paper version of this exact same activity? Click here: Halloween: Pumpkin quiz
Need another Halloween themed lesson? You may be interest in this:
- An individual long turn speaking activity with success criteria and peer assessment.
- A short video clip about the history of Halloween.
- A reading text and comprehension questions about the history of Halloween.
- A song with a choice of three differentiated worksheets.
You can download the lesson materials by clicking here: Halloween: Lesson